Breath ties your body to your mind. There are a large number of us that do not breathe deeply enough causing residual air to lay stagnant in the lungs. Your body functions better on fresh air and the mind is no exception. To balance the activity of modern life there must be stillness. This can assist us to release anger, grief, fear and any other negative emotions. Deep breathing helps to nourish and revitalise the entire body while allowing it to relax.
This breathing exercise is the beginning point of meditation. By focusing on your breathing, you leave behind the rushing thoughts within the mind. It can be done anytime of the day for as little as 5 to 10 mins. Meditation and breathing can assist problem solving, reveal more personal creativity, assist physical and emotional healing, open contact and connection with higher powers and open your consciousness on an energetic and spiritual level.
- Sit down comfortably, with your feet flat on the floor with your spine straight on the back of the chair.
- Place your hands on your diaphragm
- Inhale slowly through your nose to the count of eight. One – two – three – four – five – six – seven – eight. While inhaling imagine that you are breathing in not only air through your nose but also energy through your crown charka.
- Hold this inhale for six counts. Ensuring your hands are over your diaphragm on inhale making sure your hands rise as air fills your body
- Exhale the breath slowly, through the mouth to the count of ten. One – two – three – four – five – six – seven – eight keep pushing – nine almost there! – ten.
- Exhale slowly and you can repeat the process as many times as you feel necessary or you like. Don’t be frustrated if nothing happens you will not be “instantly enlightened”.
- With your mind move around your body, starting from your feet allowing them to relax. Repeat this from your legs through to your face. Allow all held tension to drain away. Telling each part of your body “I am relaxed”
- Once you feel your session is complete allow yourself to realign with your physical body and carry this feeling of relaxation and peace throughout your day.